How to make Mango Lassi - This Indian restaurant's favorite drink, fresh mango lassi made with just a few ingredients & can be easily made at home in 5 min.
- 2 cup mango chopped & pulp scoop out
- 1 cup greek yogurt (use home made Indian curd if no Greek yogurt)
- 1 cup milk (optional 1/2 cup extra to thin down further)
- 3 tbsp sugar (using cane sugar)
- 1 tbsp pistachio chopped finely
- 6-8 strands saffron (completely optional)
In a blender add all ingredients like mango pulp, yogurt, milk, cardamom, and sugar. Blend it till smooth consistency.
Add extra milk if you find lassi is too thick. Pour in glasses.
Serve chilled in glasses and garnish with chopped pistachio and saffron (completely optional).
Tips & FAQ's
- This recipe is prepared using fresh mango pulp directly blended with other ingredients.
- For the best taste use the ripe and sweet mangoes. Fresh mangoes give bright, natural yellow color with a naturally sweet flavor.
- Lassi made using canned or frozen mangoes may or may not taste the same as using a fresh one.
- In this recipe, I have used greek yogurt. Lassis are supposed to be prepared with fresh homemade curd. Greek yogurt is rich in protein and we use it to make lassi.
- Milk or water is used to thin down the thickness. Again feel free to replace normal milk to low-fat, or plant-based milk.
- You can easily adjust the thickness by adding or decreasing the milk quantity in the lassi recipe.
- I used cane sugar powder in this recipe. You can easily replace it with honey, maple syrup, agave syrup, or stevia.
- To make restaurant-style mango lassi use cardamom powder.
- To garnish homemade mango lassi, finely chopped pistachio sprinkled over it with few strands of saffron (completely optional).
Which mangoes are best to make lassi
In India, we get the best mangoes like Alphonso, Kesar, or dussehri. Alphonso tastes great in every mango recipe.
In the US normally we don’t get these varieties easily. I used Mexican variety like Ataulfo, or Keitt to make this lassi.
Can you make lassi without yogurt or curd
Lassi is prepared using homemade curd or yogurt. However, you can always make milkshakes or smoothies without yogurt.
It is a make-ahead drink, just blend everything together and keep in the fridge.
- Room temperature– This is a quick and easy recipe to make. Using a few ingredients all it takes only 5 minutes.
- Refrigerator– You can store it in the fridge for 24 hrs.
- Freezing– You can freeze it. Thaw it and then serve with ice cubes.
Calories: 166kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 9mg | Sodium: 47mg | Potassium: 335mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 25g | Vitamin A: 991IU | Vitamin C: 31mg | Calcium: 133mg | Iron: 1mg