Imli Chutney For Chaat (Easy Tamarind Chutney)
Imli chutney or tamarind chutney is a sweet & sour Indian chutney prepared using tamarind extract (imli), jaggery, date and few spices. If you add ginger powder to this then imli chutney also called as saunth chutney or sonth chutney. It is a must-have chutney for all Indian chaats.
Prep Time 30 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Soaking Time 30 minutes
Total Time 50 minutes
For tamarind pulp
- 3 Cups water
- 1 Cup dry tightly packed tamarind
For date puree
- 15 Dates deseeded
- 1 Cup water
- 1/2 Cup-1 Cup jaggery
- 4 Tsp red chili powder (adjust as per taste)
- 2 Tsp cumin seed powder
- 1 Tsp fennel seed
- 3 Tsp salt (as per taste)
- 2 Tsp black salt
- 3 Tsp magaj seeds (optional)
First of all, boil the 3 cups of water and add tamarind. Keep it aside for 30 minutes.
Soak the deseeded dates in 1 cup of water and keep it aside for 15 minutes.
After 30 minutes, carefully mash the tamarind and strain through a wire mesh. Discard the leftover and use the tamarind water to make chutney.
Grind the dates with the water they soaked in and make a puree.
Now in a heavy bottom pan add tamarind water, dates puree and jaggery powder. Cook this mixture on medium heat.
As soon as it starts boiling add cumin seed powder, fennel seeds, salt, and black salt. Mix well.
Keep checking the consistency and as soon as the mixture is thick enough as required switch off the stove. It takes around 10-15 minutes on medium heat. Keep stirring.
Mix magaj seeds and let the imli chutney come at room temperature.
Imli chutney or tamarind chutney is ready to accompany with your favorite snacks.
- Adjust the spice level as per taste.
- You can adjust jaggery quantity as per taste how you would like to have in sweetness. But 1/2 Cup jaggery is must have.
- Tamarind chutney is really easy to make as you can adjust everything as required. Check the consistency level and switch off the stove.
- Store in the fridge after use.