Moong Dal Dahi Vada | Dahi Bhalla Recipe | How To Make Moong Dal Dahi Vada
Moong dal dahi vada is a light and delicious Indian street food (Indian chat recipe) made with yellow lentil. Moong dal vadas are deep fried lentil dumplings, soaked in salty water and then served with beaten curd, green chutney, and sweet tamarind chutney.A perfect snack recipe for evening snacks or special occasions or festivals like Holi, Diwali.
Prep Time 30 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Soaking Time 4 hours
Total Time 45 minutes
To Make Moong Dal Vada (yellow lentil dumpling)
- 1.5 Cup moong dal (yellow lentil)
- 2 Tblsp grated ginger
- 2 Green chilies
- Salt as per taste
- 2 Pinch asafoetida
- 3-4 Tblsp water while grinding
- 2 Tblsp chopped green coriander
- Oil for deep frying
- 1/4 Tsp baking soda or eno (optional)
Water To Soak Vadas (dumplings)
- 4 Cups water
- 4 Tsp sugar
- 2 Tsp salt
Ingredients To Serve Moong Dal Vada
- 4 Cups curd
- 4 Tsp sugar
- 2 Tsp salt or as per taste
- Red chili powder as required
- Cumin seed powder as required
- Green coriander chutney
- Sweet tamarind chutney
- Pomegranate seeds for garnishing
- Chopped green coriander for garnishing
- Bhujiya sev to garnish (optional)
First of all, soak moong dal (yellow lentil) for at least 4 hours. After 4 hours drain all the water. Add lentil in a grinding jar with green chilis and grated ginger. Grind it to a smooth paste. Add water carefully while grinding. 2-4 tbsp water is good enough to grind it smoothly.
Pour the mixture in a mixing bowl and add chopped coriander, salt, asafoetida Mix nicely and make a batter.
Whisk this batter for 5-6 minute in one direction. This will make batter airy and vadas (dumpling) will come out fluffy and light after deep frying. You do not need eno or soda after whisking.
Heat enough oil in a kadhai on medium heat. Pour 1 tbsp batter and drop in the oil. Fry them on medium-low flame until golden color. Keep stirring and flipping them in the oil to ensure even frying. Transfer them on paper towel. Make vadas with the all rest of the batter.
At this stage, you can store vadas in the fridge for two weeks.
In another mixing bowl prepare for soaking water. Add warm water, salt and sugar, mix well till everything dissolves.
Soak all the deep fried vadas (dumplings) in the water for 30-40 minutes.
To serve, first, gently press the vada to drain water. Transfer them on a serving bowl along with beaten curd.
Add green coriander chutney, sweet tamarind chutney, sprinkle red chili powder and cumin seed powder.
Garnish with pomegranate seed and bhujiya sev. Serve this delicious, Indian street food or Indian chaat, moong dal dahi vada and enjoy.
- Make sure to whisk the lentil paste in one direction for a 5-6 minute. doing so will result in light and spongy vada after deep frying. You do not need soda or eno.
- Deep fry these vadas on the medium-low flame in order to get cooked from inside too.
- If curd is thick then add water else use as it is.
- You can make vada (dumplings) in well advance too and store in the fridge. Just soak them in warm water for 30 minutes before serving with curd.
- Soak dumplings nicely in the water.
- Adding chat masala is optional. Adjust red chili powder and cumin seed powder as per the taste.
- Best to serve chilled, but still taste great if served at room temperature.
- You can stuff nuts like raisin, almond, magaj, cashew in between the vadas. Chop them before stuffing.
Serving: 0g | Carbohydrates: 0g | Protein: 0g | Fat: 0g | Saturated Fat: 0g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 0mg | Potassium: 0mg | Fiber: 0g | Sugar: 0g | Vitamin A: 0IU | Vitamin C: 0mg | Calcium: 0mg | Iron: 0mg