There are numerous benefits of drinking copper water from the copper vessel first thing in the morning on an empty stomach.
As per Ayurveda, it not only helps in balancing all the three doshas in the human body – Kapha, Vata, and Pitta including the functioning of the metabolic functions of various organs.
I still remember my childhood time when we often visited paternal home, my Dadi Ji (grandma) served food in copper utensils. She had a number of copper plates, bowls, glasses, spoons and much more.
By default, food was served in them which we always considered as dominance (curtsy to our small age & we never liked those utensils by look). Now being grown-up we realized the importance of that old age tradition of having copper utensils and using them. While in Pune we made a habit of drinking copper water in the morning.
- 1 What is copper & why it is important for the body?
- 2 food sources of copper?
- 3 What is copper water? How to drink copper water?
- 4 Health benefits of water from a copper vessel
- 5 How to make alkaline water at home?
- 6 Can we drink copper water for the whole day?
- 7 How do you clean copper vessels?
- 8 Can we boil copper water?
- 9 How to buy quality copper water bottles for making copper water?
- 10 How you can use Shantiva Pitcher?
- 11 Frequently Asked Questions
After moving to states I was missing my morning ritual. When Jessica from Shantiva asked me to try this copper pitcher, I was so excited and wanted to use it once again. Thank you for sponsoring this post. All opinions and thoughts are (of course) my own.
I love this hammered copper pitcher which is handmade and crafted from a single sheet of copper, which means there is no joint.
These pitchers look beautiful and easy to handle. They are lightweight and easy to clean. I normally rinse them with running water as copper is anti-bacterial, it is safe to use. So let's explore what are the benefits of copper enriched water.
The first thing which comes to my mind is what is copper water? What are the advantages or disadvantages of drinking copper water? Is it safe to drink out of copper water bottles? How much copper water should you drink a day? How long can we store water in the copper vessels? Is copper water good for health?
We will get all the answers to the above-mentioned questions along with the pros and cons of drinking copper water. Let start understanding with the nutrient called copper and healing properties of copper.
What is copper & why it is important for the body?
Copper is a very essential nutrient for the body. It is important for human health and is known to have antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory, anti-carcinogenic, antioxidant, and anti-inflammatory properties.
It is an essential trace mineral that cannot be synthesized in our body, so we must get it from outside through our dietary sources.
Having too much copper is bad for the body and shows symptoms like stomach upset, headache, tissue injury, dizziness. Whereas too little quantity is also harmful. So how do we know what is a safe limit to consume copper? Well, for that we should take medical help. As per Wikipedia below are the daily intake.
food sources of copper?
Seafood, whole grains, nuts, lentils, seeds, potatoes, peas as well as certain dark leafy vegetables are a good source of copper. Drinking copper enriched water is another great way to get your daily dose of copper. (Source)
What is copper water? How to drink copper water?
Copper water is nothing but water stored in the copper pot overnight. For the maximum benefit, we should store it for a maximum of 8 hours. To store you can also use copper water bottles or copper mugs or copper water jugs.
Afterward, just serve and drink. You can add lemon and mint leaves as well. Though it is completely optional. You can also make shikanji using copper water.
Do not store water for more than 8 hours approximately. Storing for more hours turn water taste bitter and copper-rich. Which is not good for health.
Health benefits of water from a copper vessel
Here are 11 benefits of drinking copper water in the morning using copper bottles regularly. Here I am using copper water pitcher.
- Aids digestion: One of the advantages of copper water is it helps in breaking down the food particles in our digestive tract and aids in digestion.
- Helps in recovery of wounds: The anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties of copper are immense making it a vital nutrient that helps in the recovery of wounds. It helps in the production of new cells and boosts the immune system.
- Stimulates the brain: Copper helps in the synthesis of phospholipids essential for the formation of myelin sheaths that covers the neurons in the brain. Myelin sheaths help in the flow of impulses and are vital to brain functioning.
- Assist in weight loss: Are you trying to shed a few extra pounds off your body? Well, then drinking water stored in copper vessels with help in your efforts. Who doesn't want this amazing benefit of drinking copper water?
- Good for maintaining heart health: Copper lowers the risk of developing heart-related diseases.
- Minimizes the risk of cancer: Copper has strong anti-oxidant properties and helps fight free radicals in the body.
- Helps fight aging: Copper is packed with anti-oxidant properties and helps in the regeneration of new cells.
- Beats anemia: Copper is an essential mineral that is needed during cell formation as well as for the absorption of iron. It helps fight anemia by regulating the iron absorption and keeping the levels of haem (iron) up and managing its flow in the blood vessels.
- Relieves arthritis and inflamed joints: The anti-inflammatory properties of copper are potent and it can help in relieving aches and pains caused by arthritis.
- Regulates the working of the thyroid gland: Copper deficiency is a common thing among people having a thyroid condition and it affects the efficient working of the thyroid gland.
- Helps in maintaining healthy skin: Melanin is the pigment in the skin that keeps it safe from sun damage and copper has a vital role to play in the production of melanin.
Note: Never put anything but water in your copper water pot (copper water bottle or mug ). Never add essential oils to water when it’s in the copper vessel.
How to make alkaline water at home?
We consume alkaline things in order to balance acidity in our bodies. Alkaline water is a way towards it.
Just store water in a copper pitcher for a maximum of 8 hours. Normally storing overnight and drinking in the morning works best.
Storing for more than 8 hours makes water a little bitter due to more copper levels. Consuming it can result in stomach irritation, nausea, or vomiting.
Can we drink copper water for the whole day?
No, drinking a maximum of 2 glass of water is self-sufficient in order to complete daily intake. Increasing copper levels affects health.
How do you clean copper vessels?
Once you buy it, rinse and wash it thoroughly before using it to store water. However, there are certain points should be taken care of.
- Overtime copper vessels develop a patina, Patina is a thin layer that variously forms on the surface of copper, brass, bronze and similar metals. To clean the vessel rub it thoroughly with lemon slices, set aside for 10 minutes or so and then rinse it off with water.
- Never put your copper water pitcher in the dishwasher.
- To clean periodically
Remove off any water traces with a clean cloth. Alternately, you can also use a paste of baking soda and water to clean the pitcher. The process would be the same as that of using lemon.
Can we boil copper water?
Yes, you can boil water from the copper vessel. Mind here, you should not boil it in the same copper vessel you store. As it will increase the copper level.
Transfer this water to other containers and then boil.
How to buy quality copper water bottles for making copper water?
Now that we know the health benefits of copper water how we will know which vessel is best to buy. Here are some guidelines which can help you find out the right utensil.
- Copper is a soft metal, so generally, you will get vessel with simple shapes. If there is some intricate designing on a copper vessel, most likely it is adulterated with other metals.
- While using copper vessels it is important to keep quality in mind. Don't buy vessels that have other metals mixed in it.
- After buying rinse it out with water and then use.
How you can use Shantiva Pitcher?
Every day before sleeping I filled the pitcher and cover it with the lid. Keeping it at the kitchen counter itself. Morning after waking up I transfer this water in a glass and drink.
Sometimes I do add lemon wedges in my glass. You can also use mint leaves or fresh fruit wedges. Make sure you are not adding any of this directly to the pitcher.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, everyday 1-2 glass of water is good.
Yes, we should not mix lemon juice in a copper vessel. Instead, transfer the water in a glass or steel containers and then add lemon juice.
Copper vessels tend to get tanned due to oxidization, so keep cleaning it from time to time. It is called patina.
No, boiling water should not be poured in copper. It will increase the copper level in water which is toxic for the body.